Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does your hometown Newspaper look like ?
Hey folks

??I would like to try NOT to get political in here lol, just out of curiosity what does your home town newspaper look like ? Or online hometown news look like ?

??We have several from the times Union to the Schenectady Gazette, nothing in my local town just not big enough really, we used to have the comics and of course front page news, then the next pages were politics or articles, then personals and Ann Landers and the want adds, a coupon sections, then of course coupon inserts, and obituaries, i keep seeing on the news how newpaper is dying but is it dying or is it out dated by the internet ?, heck half the internet news is fake we have some actual media that run fake news but its also just part of politics,

?? Has anyone seen that Google is now being investigated for manipulating your searchs? and not just politics stuff but other serachs all by who pays them the most to advertize, we have our Gazette that always was pretty good at printing relevant information, im seeing more and more the stuff in print is really frivolous, lacking inpact in our local community, I often wonder if news papers would focus on whats relevant locally on the front pages it would be more useful to well everyone.

I was reading how so many printed newspapers are going out or closing down, then i realized i had not bought one in so long lol, i used to get it delivered but it go to political really and wasnt relevant to us, wondering if more countries and towns are seeing the same things
(09-12-2019, 06:21 PM)P-Rabi Wrote: Hey folks

??I would like to try NOT to get political in here lol, just out of curiosity what does your home town newspaper look like ? Or online hometown news look like ?

??We have several from the times Union to the Schenectady Gazette, nothing in my local town just not big enough really, we used to have the comics and of course front page news, then the next pages were politics or articles, then personals and Ann Landers and the want adds, a coupon sections, then of course coupon inserts, and obituaries, i keep seeing on the news how newpaper is dying but is it dying or is it out dated by the internet ?, heck half the internet news is fake we have some actual media that run fake news but its also just part of politics,

?? Has anyone seen that Google is now being investigated for manipulating your searchs? and not just politics stuff but other serachs all by who pays them the most to advertize, we have our Gazette that always was pretty good at printing relevant information, im seeing more and more the stuff in print is really frivolous, lacking inpact in our local community, I often wonder if news papers would focus on whats relevant locally on the front pages it would be more useful to well everyone.

I was reading how so many printed newspapers are going out or closing down, then i realized i had not bought one in so long lol, i used to get it delivered but it go to political really and wasnt relevant to us, wondering if more countries and towns are seeing the same things
>>>
???? Well, It's going to be REALLY hard to Not get political when it comes to the mainstream media, in print, on the TV, on the internet, or even in person face-to-face.?? The business of information dissemination and marketing is sold to the highest bidder, or twisted by whomever is running the service, so it doesn't make any difference any more.?? Buyer Beware.?? Believe none of what you hear, and only 5% of what you see.?? Welcome to the digital age where we can make anything you want become a reality.?? We can even make dinosaurs roam on a far-off island sanctuary.?? Really!! I actually saw them in a video!?? You know they can't build that many working dinosaur puppets or robots.?? Do you want an armed confrontation between Israeli soldiers and Palestinian civilians??? SURE!?? We can do that, too!?? ??
???? The kids can't do morning paper deliveries any more here either because of the earlier delivery deadlines, and
the local evening paper was closed down about 30 years ago.?? The days of the kids being "the paper boy" are over now.
???? Some of the local ads and flyers and coupons are in the Thursday AM paper and in the Sunday paper along with the color comics and the local and community news sections.?? We have a "Syracuse.com" site where we can keep up on the mainstream media propaganda, and some of the local updates, if we feel like it.??
???? I, and later 3 of our kids, were paper-boys/girls.?? I also delivered the papers to all the local paper-boys in our area and ran out any of the missed papers or complaints in that time when our kids were doing their routes.?? That period has been lost to politics and poor management in the news paper company.?? For example, we had 86 customers on our evening paper route (done before 5pm), and only 37 on that same morning route (done before 6:30am). The Sunday paper was around 98, and??all the inserts and comics to be placed inside when they were being delivered.?? When they stopped the evening paper, the morning paper route only picked up to 44 customers, and the Sunday paper dropped to 81.?? Then they said all the papers had to be delivered before 5:30am.?? Kids can't work before 5:30 am even with working papers so that put all the kids out of work..
???? They keep raising the price of the paper, but the news is current only up to 1:30am when the paper goes to print.?? The nightly TV news was updated at 11:00pm so there is only 2 1/2 hrs of actual "new" news for the paper to print but, ..... It's Night Time!?? Almost Everyone is asleep!!

?? "This fresh news just in:?? The Smiths on Any Street, left their window open again, and at about 12:15am Mr. Smiths snoring woke up the next door neighbors dogs!?? We will update you in tomorrow mornings paper."

?? ??As Paul Harvey used to say, "And now, here's the rest of the story" (The part that couldn't get into print before the paper went out.)

???? "At 2:30 this morning the Jones, who live across the street from the Smiths on Any Street, thought someone was prowling around causing the neighborhood dogs to start barking so they called 911 !!?? Several Sheriffs Department units along with the swat team were called out to the scene, and the "Air One" helicopter was sent up to access the situation from above.
???? Around 3:45am Mr. Smith had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance for a broken ankle suffered when he went to see what the commotion outside was all about, and fell down the stairs to the first floor of their home.?? His condition is being determined but he is expected to be sent home later today.?? Mrs. Smith was laughing uncontrollably as she told our reporter that she, "... thinks it's time to get her husband fixed." " ??

?? The evening paper used to have all the days news up to 2:00pm when it went to print.?? Then the 6:00pm TV news came on and filled in the rest of the afternoon, and the late news at 11:00pm recapped the whole day.?? The evening paper had a lot to catch up on, as well as the comics for us kids (back then).
???? Now, the news paper here is pretty much just an irrelevant waste of time, energy, and money, and their persistent phone calls nagging us to subscribe to their rag is even more annoying.?? Today it's just something to line the bottom of the bird cage with, or to clean your windows with, or to pack dishes away with, or to make into those newspaper-logs for our fireplace.?? The company has managed it right into oblivion.?? The ads, flyers, coupons and all that other junk are all being delivered by USPS now anyway.?? But That's a whole different story of waste and a pain in the a$$.
??
???? On a good note though, there Is an ad in this weeks mail for a great sale on some of our favorite bottles of wine, ... and our new wine rack has acquired quite a few empty spots in it over these past several months.
>>>
"Everyone" (most people) try to lie to you and use you like a slave for benefits.
So I try to listen to my needs and not go out of the mainstream society ...... I try to be beyond this madness!
my point was more about structure and substance than politics, i know its hard to see through because they have changed it so politics is front page, but im more speaking to looking forward to the morning paper a cup of coffee and read the comics, then the front page for local news and weather and such, i was curious if other countries or towns had it all set up the same,

If we remember back in the day lol, this was how we got our news, we talked to eachother, we read a paper, there was no oops i said a bad word and delete it, you were held accountable for what you did and said. Im kinda old school, cheating is cheating lying is lying there is no word spin or gray areas, i remember how great it was to read snoopy every day, looking at the classified adds for another tractor or car or lawn equipment, checking out the local folks in the news seeing if our town every made it to the news, talking at the diner with folks about what was in the paper, did you see the headlines, those were the times I miss the most, getting out of this social media were nothing is reality and everything is word spin.
A Snoopy comic, aaawh, that dog is amazing and I still love to read Garfield who started his career as a newspaper comic strip, too. Blush????Can't compare german newspaper comics to this, we are lacking such real comic icons, the smaller the newspaper the worse it gets.

Yeah, two sides of the same coin,??too much happens online in a way, on the other hand there lie incredible opportunites within (e. g. connecting a clan community worldwide Wink??).????Nonetheless some things stay better in real life forever like newspapers and books - not convinced??of e-books as well btw.

I agree with the point of accountability, there should be more of it, morals in general need a comeback, lol. Not sure though if local newspapers can help here?! Naturally the papers of big cities are dealing more with world affairs, while local gazettes are focusing on smaller issues. At the moment typical allover headlines here??are that climate activist girl Greta (related topics how to save this planet) and this SUV accident which happend in Berlin (related subjects transport safety). My mother-in-law who isn't fond of reading (maybe read five books in her entire life) knows her local rag by heart: road works information, next street festival dates, where to buy cheap stuff right now and perhaps most important the obituary notes ... village ??gossip.?? Dodgy

Neither the politically jam-packed gazettes, nor the village journals are my cup of tea to be honest. You hear the news on the radio, watch them on TV, get informed about them by your surroundings and so on. Thus I'm frequently reading the FLOW magazine?? Heart ??to ease my mind and to supply myself??with diner talk options that won't bore me, hehe.
"A man will go to war, fight and die for his country. But he won't get a bikini wax." (Rita Rudner)

"Night air, good conversation, and a sky full of stars can heal almost any wound." (Beau Taplin)
HP-Rabimy point was more about structure and substance than politics, i know its hard to see through because they have changed it so politics is front page, but im more speaking to looking forward to the morning paper a cup of coffee and read the comics, then the front page for local news and weather and such, i was curious if other countries or towns had it all set up the same,

??If we remember back in the day lol, this was how we got our news, we talked to eachother, we read a paper, there was no oops i said a bad word and delete it, you were held accountable for what you did and said. Im kinda old school, cheating is cheating lying is lying there is no word spin or gray areas, i remember how great it was to read snoopy every day, looking at the classified adds for another tractor or car or lawn equipment, checking out the local folks in the news seeing if our town every made it to the news, talking at the diner with folks about what was in the paper, did you see the headlines, those were the times I miss the most, getting out of this social media were nothing is reality and everything is word spin.
>>>
?????? Many years ago I became rather cynical about the very ability of today's news papers to get even the?? most simple events or happenings documented correctly when several local/regional stories were written about in the news papers that were running at that time.?? After reading about the same event in 3 of these papers, written by 3 different reporters, each professing to be unbiased, I had to comment to the editor of each.
???? The similarities in the different articles were few.?? The facts that were there were distorted differently by each writer.?? I had to laugh at the whole thing, because I was there and actually saw and heard what was being reported.?? These reporters must have gotten their stories from 3rd parties, or they were doing "drive-by" reporting.?? Whatever it was, it was typical of these competitors in reporting the news.??
?????? People I know have documented "Fake News" as it was being directed and choreographed by "reporters" for everyone to see as proof of an event (that never happened) just to get others stirred up against these people or against those people.?? When the normal people started to document the facts as they really happened, and show everyone how this or that news was manufactured, it gives reason for us to be very cynical of ALL news.?? Why read the fiction being poured into our heads as real, when it's not, and not even worth the paper it's written on??? Why subscribe and Pay Real Money$$$, to read fake news.?? You might just as well spend that money on wrestling tickets, or tofu Thanksgiving "turkeys", ... unless you have a fire place and want to use "the news" to keep yourself warm in the cold weather, ... or maybe have a bird cage.

???? Like I mentioned before, I used to read the paper often.?? The stories about our friends, neighbors, and families were interesting, because they were informative not sensationalized.?? We actually knew several of the people being written about.????Many of the events were ones that we went to, and we were there at some of the emergencies that were reported on. ??These stories brought us up-to-date on the events and people as they were, not as some biased reporter or editor wanted to portray those events or people.?? They were about us as a community, and about our actual lives.?? They were us.?? Not anymore.
???? Do you miss that morning paper with your coffee??? Do you miss the evening paper after work while you relax before dinner??? WHY??? Did You do something different??? OR did the news reporting change?
???? I tried that "Ozzie and Harriet" style of getting my news from the paper before dinner.?? There was Nothing that anyone should discuss over dinner, especially if you have kids, that you could finally get to the dinner table, ... and it was the S.O.S.D.D. (Same Old Shit, Different Day).?? I had to stop.?? My stomach couldn't stand it.??
???? Now my "news" comes from my friends, family, and neighbors, directly.?? The news paper has been replaced by the old-school?? "conversation, face-to-face"??way of finding out what is going on in our little part of the world.?? The friendly feeling of just sitting and chatting with your neighbors and friends is replacing the anxiety.?? Real telephone calls to real people who have voices I recognize have pushed out the unsociable "texting" and "pm's". ?? The cookies and the drinks, or even meals that these face-to-face meetings may inspire are even better when shared with common friends.?? The "coffee & conversation groups" are coming back, and the "newspaper" that used to be so prevalent everywhere is nowhere to be seen. ?? It's no longer relevant.?? "I just read about that in the newspaper!", is now just another archaic term.?? Our "grass roots" just may be growing again.?? There may be hope for us yet.
???? The advertisements however, still abound.?? The marketing companies see to that.?? THEY have survived since writing on the caveman's walls (and through George Jennings invention of the first public flush toilets, in London in 1851 and later in many pubs, "See Mary Elizabeth for a good time!").?? That, however, is a whole 'nother topic.
>>>