Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bastogne foxholes and memorial
A lott off young lives where lost here, thank to those who give there lives for my freedom.

[Image: afa2947e-43ed-45d1-9c77-30aba0c1fd84-kopie.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2581-kopie.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2637-kopie.jpg]
Old Friend ! Angel
I’m glad and proud you went there my brother. 

Hard to read the inscriptions on the monument so I wrote them here for all interested. 

The left inscription reads
The Eagle will Always Scream for Our Fallen Brothers. 

It lists 14 names of Easy Company fallen. 

The center inscription reads:
506th PIR 101st Airborne Division 
E Company 

The right inscription reads:
In the wood behind this monument on 18 December 1944 E Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, US Army dug their foxholes in the Bois Jacques woods as part of the defense perimeter of Bastogne City that was soon to be surrounded by several enemy divisions. The circumstances were dreadful with constant mortar, rocket and artillery fire, snowfall, temperature below -28 Celsius at night with little food or ammo.  The field hospital had been captured so little medical help was available. On December 24th the Easy Company position was attacked at dawn by 45 enemy soldiers. The attack failed and Easy Company held their position with 1 casualty against 23 of the enemy.  The position of Easy Company was twice bombed and strafed by American P-47s. During the periods of January 9th and January 13th Easy Company suffered its most casualties ending with the attack and capture of Foy on January 13th. 8 were killed in Foy and 6 earlier. During the whole period 32 were wounded and another 21 were evacuated with cold weather illnesses. In many units involved with the defense of Bastogne the casualties were even greater. This monument is dedicated to all that fought and is symbolic of what happened to other units during the Battle of the Bulge.  Airborne Always, Men of E Company. 

I’m grateful for and proud of them boys. 
If you haven’t seen the Band of Brothers series, they do an excellent job portraying that fight. 

Hard Times Don’t Last but Hard Men Do
Hey Bro,

Thank you so much for the inscriptions.
A lott more foto's will come soon, these i made with my mobiel.
it was so good to be there m8, you could feel wath happend there.
I was standing in the foxholes these guys had been fighting in. 
They died over there, but the words off the commander tells it all.
He told the germans on the surrender proposel :  NUTS !!!!!!!!!
Old Friend ! Angel
For sure one impressive place to learn from among plenty of others.
My social Dad had to serve in the army during WWII. 
Our family will never forget that the world owes the US the freedom everyone lives in now. 

Yeah, Band of Brothers, my hubby likes that series quite a lot.

Quote:Hard Times Don’t Last but Hard Men Do
Amen, brother.

The last time we went to Belgium we did some more touristy stuff I have to admit, haha:

[Image: dismzsgncvrhi496g.jpg]

[Image: rgzb1sqahka0f6i6g.jpg]
[Image: giphy.gif] [Image: 9o49v1dnxqreizp6g.jpg]
A man will go to war, fight & die for his country. But he won't get a bikini wax. (R.Rudner) | Night air, good conversation & a sky full of stars can heal almost any wound. (B.Taplin)
Very pictures and wonderful true words !
We were often in the Ardennes and tomorrow my wife and i will be there again till sunday Smile
Safe travels! Cool
A man will go to war, fight & die for his country. But he won't get a bikini wax. (R.Rudner) | Night air, good conversation & a sky full of stars can heal almost any wound. (B.Taplin)
Thank you Kitty Smile
A few years ago my wife and i visit a war museum in the Ardennen near Bastogne, a small video i made there https://youtu.be/ifCQLtf932Q
Awesome, Lode, thanks for sharing Angel

Got nothing to contribute from the Ardennes, but here's the Intrepid Big Grin

[Image: oer5gyo0xa4xo2i6g.jpg]

[Image: s2a90lvbhzvz3hb6g.jpg]

[Image: lsyqahqcdpqh7hi6g.jpg]
For every soldier who give his live a tree. 
Here is his medal in the tree, tells it all.

[Image: Medal.jpg]
Old Friend ! Angel
very impressive photo !